This picture is certainly worth a thousand words, or maybe fifty thousand blog posts. It's our normal spider queue chart. Usually, we have no more than a few thousand items at any one time. But, since we went down for our move, (a) we accumulated lots of updates to process later (note that we have tens of thousands), and (b) we turned off our operational monitoring during our downtime (mind the gap).
Now we're in the process of coming back up. As you can probably tell, we started processing new updates, but soon afterwards started to pull in the updates we'd deferred during our downtime. So the queue started to climb for a while. Note that our hungry little arachnids are catching up, and have, it seems, turned the corner.